FANDOM

  • Kmrugala

    End of the project

    May 11, 2013 by Kmrugala

    Yesterday was the last deadline for COMP2014, and as such our project has come to an end. We had many ups and downs throughout the process and there were many issues that he had to take care of. However overall the project was successful and I am happy with what we built. Considering the amount of time and our experience, I think that our system is decent.

    I am very glad to have gotten this opportunity to learn on a real-life project. It taught me a lot. Michael and me worked on the Python backend, and since I never used Python it was a good opportunity to learn a new and exciting language. I was also involved in the hardware, by building Arduino components and adjusting the Raspberry Pi system. This taught me C++ and the operation of Linux…

    Read more >
  • Kmrugala

    Over the last weeks we worked on the report and the presentation, which took place on the 24th April. We are now basically done with all the coding and only some small refactoring work are taking place for our final submission deadline of 10th May.

    The presentation overall went well, and on the day our demo worked fine. Which was a relief. I enjoyed seeing other groups work and I am impressed by the level we showed. After all we are just second years. I also liked the comments from people from the companies. Their input was really interesting and helpful.  

    Read more >
  • Kmrugala

    Over the last two weeks I worked on improving the database and a voice recognition app.


    Our database made the code unreadable and changing it would mean changing the entire code quite a bit. This is why I decided to have a second look at it and making some changes.

    I looked at SQLAlchemy , however it seemed too complex for our needs. However, I liked couple of ideas that were mentioned there and I tried to incorporate it into my code. For example the fact that it returns an object, instead of what we had before which was the raw tuple. In addition, the function take in objects not list of particular parameters.

    These were the main two changes I made to the code. However, that meant that I also had to import the relevant classes into the Datab…


    Read more >
  • Kmrugala

    Android App

    March 19, 2013 by Kmrugala

    We encountered quite a big problem this week. When we attached the motor shield and the WiFi shield to the Arduino Uno, there was one free pin left. This is not enough for the Door Module that I was working on. We ordered bigger Arduinos, however they might not arrive on time. If that is the case, I am not sure what we will do.

    This week I was working on producing an android app. Our website is now functional and we decided that users would not usually want to use a computer as they move around the house. Therefore we need to make apps. Since the phones are smaller the app would have less functionality and be simpler than the actual website. Nevertheless we decided that we will not do a fully native app, since that would be time consuming a…

    Read more >
  • Kmrugala

    Hardware and Soldering

    March 12, 2013 by Kmrugala

    Last week I was finally managed to finalise the bits of hardware that I was supposed to do. Unlike our expectations, hardware was more fiddly and harder than we thought.


    I was supposed to make a Wi-Fi library for the group to use. Last week I managed to get it done through polling, this week I wanted to make it work with POST messages from the Arduino to Flask. This however proved to be a lot harder job than I thought.

    I managed to get the POST sent from Arduino, however once I also started to listen to requests from Arduino it did not seem to work properly. The “sending” part was catching the requests from Flask and the “listening” part did not even trigger sometimes. It was a mess. I Googled it and found a post on an Arduino Forum which do…


    Read more >

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.