I've started working on the hardware I'm given this week. I did some research on how to use the Arduino, PIR sensor, breadboard etc. as I didn't know how they would work together. I looked up on how to connect the Arduino and PIR sensor together. Besides that, I read some example codes provided online so that it can help me when coding for the PIR.
So after looking at a few tutorials, I tried putting the them together, connecting the Arduino and PIR, with wires and the breadboard connecting them both. However, the PIR that we have is slightly different from the one in the tutorials and I weren't sure if its the right way to connect it. Also, I'll go to the E&E lab and try to get some LEDs to test with the PIR! :)Read more >
I continued from the work of checking and install updates I mentioned in last post. I have completed the part to download a file when its a newer version. This week I worked on writing shell script to be able to unzip the zip folder downloaded, stop the Python running by getting the process ID, save it into a .pid file and kill the process. Also, to copy the new files, deleting the file which was downloaded and rerun it.
I took quite a while to do this because I didn't know much about script writing and all, spent a lot time researching and reading online sources besides asking help from our group teaching assistant.Read more >
So I've learnt up HTML and CSS in order to document our API using Bootstrap. I did some reading up on how to use Bootstrap besides looking through at the compiled version of Bootstrap documentation on the Github project. I managed to complete a page of documentation of the API for developers to be hosted on the main site.
After that, I started working on the automatic updating for the Raspberry Pi server code. I read up more on Python and also started doing some coding during the reading week. I'm currently working on checking the software version, if its a newer version or the same version. If it is of a newer version, then it will be able to download a file from the internet. Just collected the hardwares today so would most likely be work…Read more >
We have completed our COMP2013 project about two weeks ago and we are currently starting to work on COMP2014. So in the last term, we had successfully did the proof of concept for our project which we are implementing the actual home automation now. The prototype has given us a rough idea on how we should proceed with the real implementation and also what we could improve on. So this week is about finding the right hardwares we need which includes motors, sensor, magnetic switch etc. We've done the literature review on our home automation. Each of us were given a research task, and as for me I am assigned to research on the motion sensor, light sensor and temperature sensor. Two sites, Onecall and Cool Components were recommended for us to…Read more >
This is my first post for the blog and I'll be writing up on what we've been working on for the first two weeks. So it started with 10 titles and a brief description of the project being posted up on moodle. After looking through the list of choices, I decided to pick Home Automation and Security as my project to work on because it seems interesting.
We were given a Gadgeteer Hardware which initially consist of roughly 15 components such as a FEZ Spider Mainboard, motion sensor, LED, USB module, camera, buttons, a touch screen display etc. In our first meeting, we installed the softwares needed. At first my laptop couldn't detect the hardware, but after re-installing everything I managed to get it working.
So we looked into some exercises to…Read more >