FANDOM

  • Jerrineswh

    A final blog post to wrap everything up. We did our presentation on the 24th April and it went smoothly, our demo worked perfectly well. We have also finished our group report and our peoject codes are also ready to be released. I'm proud to say that we didn't do any last minute work and rush things off as Michael had planned well to make sure we finished off our parts for the report a week before the deadline. So we also have time to check through and allow time for any modification. We have come this far from knowing very little about home automation to building an actual model involving hardwares like WeMo, LightwaveRF, Arduino sensors, Gadgeteer sensors etc. I have definitely learn a lot in both COMP2013 and COMP2014.

    Read more >
  • Jerrineswh

    For the past couple of weeks, it was the Easter break and we all continued with our work on this project while revising. I have completed the gathering data of the energy usage. A new energy database table is being created to store the energy value (in watts) and also the time and date of the energy value being retrieved from the energy monitor. So that the user can get the data by entering a pair of timestamp and a graph will be shown displaying the energy usage. The system will be constantly listening for the energy every 30 seconds. A thread will also be created to store this data in the database periodically.

    I've also done the updating of the Raspberry Pi's IP automatically on cloud as the cloud service has to always have the correct R…

    Read more >
  • Jerrineswh

    It was the last week of term before Easter break the previous week. I got the PIR module working properly with the Wifi and is able to send the right commands now. Also, with Dennis's help, I managed to fit the PIR sensor with the Arduino, Wifi shield, wires etc nicely into a box. 

    Read more >
  • Jerrineswh

    PIR with WIFI library

    March 19, 2013 by Jerrineswh

    This week I managed to put the Arduino and Wifi Shield together and test it with some codes online and also codes my groupmate has written. I also managed to put include the wifi libraries into my PIR code and rewrite some parts because the codes written before has LED moduled being included.

    It now can send and get response using the Wifi library.

    When there is movement detected by the PIR sensor, it will display "{state: 1}" and when there is no movement it will show "{state: 0}". This has been tested many times in order to be as accurate as possible. At times it doesn't show the corect result because it picks up movement from other objects. Thus, the surrounding has to always be clear of any irrelevant objects or block up the surrounding …

    Read more >
  • Jerrineswh

    Finally I've completed the automatic updating functionality. Michael and Billy had also helped me when I faced problems like installing SQL into my system and also setting up the the flask server. Now it is able to check for its version, if its an older version then it'll automatically download the newest version available on git and call the script file, runUpdate.sh. This script has the commands to

    1. Unzip the folder which we've downloaded earlier

    2. Killing the pid file which the process ID is stored in it

    3. Deleting the older files and replacing it with the new one

    4. Restarting the flask server

    After that, I continued with working on the hardware. I managed to connect the PIR sensor to the Arduino using the breadboard and wires. To famil…

    Read more >